Saturday, December 12, 2009

Names of Jesus

For the month of December we take a break from our regular school stuff (except for math) and do a Christmas study. This year we're studying the Names of Jesus. And lest you think I am oh, so smart, I must tell you I got the idea from easyfunschool. They have loads of ideas for Christmas. We started with Alpha and Omega and made these banners:
















TADA......


I did print the verse from Revelation 22:13 and glued it to the middle. After that we did Wonderful Counselor (they had to solve a dilemma about Johnny who was with some friends and a conversation was taking a turn for the worse - oh my! what should Johnny do?); Everlasting Father (did a family tree for this which they had fun doing); Mighty God (made a Jesus is mightier than... picture collage with pictures of mighty things such as: a vacuum, oven, binoculars, a dog with a tree in his mouth, germs, Mighty Dog dog food to name a few. We also had grapes on toothpicks for barbels) ; Prince of Peace; Unspeakable Gift (we wrapped a box to reminds us of Jesus love for us and wrote a thank you note to God); Lamb of God (made a cotton ball lamb); and Good Shepherd. Most of them included copywork of a verse which we have put into a Christmas journal/scrapbook along with the other things we've done. Here's a picture of a few things which will go in later:

And that's it for our Christmas study for now. Oh, and we light our Advent candles and are reading Bartholomew's Passage this year as well. We are liking this one.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey...What is Bartholemew's message? I so wanted to do the Advent calendar, too, but didn't get the candles...is it too late? Any ideas?

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh...I forgot to say how amazingly big these boys are~!
How many years difference again? Please tell them to get writing on their blogs, so the boys can comment. They haven't written on theirs in a while, either.
The weather here is cool. Ugh. We did have 74 on Sunday, which was great to do some needed yard work.

melissa said...

Bartholomew's Passage is written by Arnold Ytreeide. He also wrote Jotham's Journey. It's about a boy who is taken from his family by Roman soldiers and is forced into slavery. He does escape and is taken in by Nathan who happens to find orphan boys. He goes on quite the adventure and learns about Jehovah on the way and the coming Messiah. I think I like this one better than Jotham's journey. We don't have anything fancy for our advent candles. Just a big purple one and small votives surrounding it. And you were moving - it's kind of hard to plan for that :) I can't think of any ideas off the top of my head, I'll let you know if any come to mind though. Maybe the prophecies and Christmas story from the Bible each day? They are 3 years apart and I just have to get them an email address. I'll let you know when I do that also.